General Ginger Knits

random thoughts on knitting and the universe

Thursday, June 09, 2005

aran continued

You know what's painful? Knitting for an hour and completing exactly one row, then having to rip that row and several other along with it out for a second time. Uhg. Just when I was congratulating myself yesterday that I hadn't made a huge error since that second, fateful row 24 waaay back there. So, naturally, that was when I made my mistake, or rather, when I thought I'd made my mistake.



I glanced (this word can not be emphasized enough) at my row notes when I picked up my knitting to continue after I got home from work. I noticed that I'd made a mistake during my lunchtime knitting by cabling the 8 row cable when I shouldn't have. I ripped back the work and reknit it. Later, I picked up my row notes again and realized that I had indeed knitted it correctly the first time and that it was the rip and repeat without the cable that was the mistake. Did I mention that this was three rows back? Both times? So I had to rip out and reknit what I had already knitted correctly the first time, wrongly the second time, to end up with the correct pattern the third time. Ugh.

On a more positive note I am thoroughly enjoying this pattern. Alice Starmore must have genius in her noodle because this St. Brigid is heaps of fun. Try it, you'll like it.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your work is looking beautiful! I knit a sweater with almost this exact pattern in silk yarn for my daughter a few years ago and I really enjoyed it as well.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't read your post today because I'm blinded by a photo of a beautiful cable pattern. Wow!! Great job!!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Oh I've definitely done stupid things like that before, but I'm not sure if I've done them on such an intricate pattern before (probably because I've never done such an intricate pattern!)

9:38 AM  
Blogger The Stitchin' Sheep said...

Ugh, I've done that before (the ripping something to fix it only to find out that I was right in the first place). What a pain! The results of what you're doing are fabulous, though, Keep working. It seems quite worth it.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a brave woman. I'd have run away just looking at the pattern.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ripping back or not, it looks fantastic. good job darlin'!

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Wow. Wow. Nice aran work such as yours scares the crap outta me. That's why I haven't tried it, yet. I've GOT to work up the nerve.

Must. Knit. Aran.

4:26 PM  
Blogger savannahchik said...

It looks fabulous! Keep on plugging away. You'll find your rhythm. We've all made these mistakes, I swear :)

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home