General Ginger Knits

random thoughts on knitting and the universe

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

FO - French market bag

Did I drag me feet on felting something for years? Yes. Did I worry it would come out all wonky? Yes. Did I know that I was going to enjoy felting this much? No. Here it is folks, my first felted object!

My sweetheart kept looking at this French market bag and saying that it was a little on the large side. I kept trying to explain to him that it would shrink. Of course, I said this to him in a tone of "yeah, right, sure its going to shrink to the right size and look like a beautiful object, uh huh." Its no wonder he didn't believe me.

pre-felting

But folks, I swear it did! We were both amazed. Secretly my cutie was hoping that it wouldn't felt perfectly so that he could use the bag for his own devises. But I think he was more excited than I was when it came out of the laundry bag and I started to shape it into form. Wow! We were stunned and delighted.

I followed lots of people's advice and stuffed the pre-felted item in a sealed pillow case. I didn't have one that zipped up so I devised a frugal substitute and found an old one among the linens, slit two small holes on the inside edge, threaded a non-felting yarn (acrylic) through the hem, and tied it shut. However, it didn't seem like the Cascade 220 gave off many fibers. I threw in the towel, shut the door and commenced being patient. I actually had to do this part because my washer is the stackable kind where the door is hermetically sealed shut once the cycle begins. I had to let it run its course after that. This could be one of the reasons why I avoided felting for so long. I've read that its best to keep an eye on the amount of felting in order to reach the desired shrinkage. Ah well, it turned out great anyway!

post felting

In fact it came out so great and I had so much fun with it that I've cast on for another felted bag. Can you believe that folks? I bought some Lopi over the Christmas holidays and within a few hours of the first success hot out of the laundry had caston for the booga bag. I do believe ya'll, that I am converted!


another felted bag in the works?

7 Comments:

Blogger doubleknot said...

Wow - that is a lovely bag. I would want to start another too. It is still amazing how felting works.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Wow, your bag looks so great! I love the colors, and the shape turned out perfectly. It's always a guessing game with felting, and you did a fabulous job.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful color combo. I love felting, but try to restrain myself to one project a year (washing machine, lint, etc.)

Cheers,
Colleen
subwayknitter.typepad.com

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great bag! I want one! I think I like it better (or just as much, anyway) as the original. A word of warning about Lopid: when you felt the Lopi bag, make sure you put it in a tightly-secured bag--Lopi makes A LOT of fuzz when you felt it, and that fuzz comes out in the washing machine. Felted Lopi also holds creases, so if you spin out the water, be careful not to spin wrinkles and creases into it.

Lisa http://blackwaterpark.typepad.com

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

groovy bag!

9:35 PM  
Blogger General Ginger said...

Thank you all for your supportive comments, I truly appreciate them. Sorry to those of you who couldn't place comments on my blog. I'll be checking on that today. I hope you're all sufficiently inspired to try one yourself!

Lisa, thanks for the tip on Lopi.

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there " General Ginger " --- I was in the search engines researching SEO Software when I came upon your blog..... I don't know if you are out of place in the engines, or I am out of place and just don't realize it :-)

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home