General Ginger Knits

random thoughts on knitting and the universe

Thursday, January 06, 2005

wip & sex

Yesterday I had to rip out all the toe shaping from the wildfoote sock. I started the decreases in haste because of my fear that I would run out of yarn so that the sock turned out far too short for my foot. I hated the thought of ripping out and having to pick up such teeny tiny stitches but I took a big breath and plunged right in. Surprisingly everything turned out ok. It actually felt quite good to do it. Last night I reknit those stitches and finished off the sock using, for the first time ever, the kitchener stitch. More details on that, along with a picture, later.


knitting mags

Picked up a couple of knitting magazines to gloss over the blues. Both of them have simple, beginner like patterns in them. There is an interesting sweater that I like in Easy Knitting on page 49, #18 that includes interesting texture with basket weave. knit.1 had some nice looking flowers I thought I might try. Although I think I've seen nearly the same pattern on knitty. I was actually a little shocked at this magazine. I have never seen such blatant use of sex to sell knitting to teenagers. Based on the simplicity of the patterns and fun, youthful appearance of the models, it is obvious who the audience is. The words "LUST" and "SEXY" are clear as you please on the cover. But most shocking of all is the position of the cover models into the shape of a specific female body part. Hum. What can I say? I needed a little pick me up yesterday and I succumbed to knitting temptation.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't even notice that about the magazine, I guess I went straight for the patterns. It's interesting for sure.
-sarah b.
onestitchshort.typepad.com

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do realize that SEX is terribly important to us older knitters too. I try to have SEX at least once a week. If I couldn't have SEX, I'd be a miserable person. Yep....give me my Stash Enhancement eXpeditions, or be prepared for a cranky old lady!!

And looking at the Lopi, I immediately thought clogs.
Sharon (Knitknacks)

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting point about the magazine. I know that in advertising and magazine photo layout, nothing is accidental. If you suspect that something is *implied*, it probably is.

I love your Wildfoote sock! I haven't seen that yarn, and it is great.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Annie
http://knittygritty.spatterdash.org

2:28 PM  
Blogger Vera said...

I like your Wildfoote sock. Isn't it great when you can correct mistakes?

--Vera
Vera's Crafty Blog
http://vhanna26.typepad.com

10:59 PM  
Blogger General Ginger said...

Thank you all for your comments. Sharon, LOL, you are certainly right!

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog while surfing, Nice! If you are interested in sex enhancement you
should visit this related site sex enhancement
You may find it of interest.

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home