General Ginger Knits

random thoughts on knitting and the universe

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

FO felted lopi bag

I think that I had more fun felting this bag than I did with the French market bag. I love the way that it came out. I'm planning to cut a piece of foam core board to fit down inside to stiffen the bottom of the bag. I was trying to figure out how to secure the board inside so that it wouldn't shift around. My sweetheart came up with a brilliant idea of using liquid nails to hold it in place. Has anyone had any experience with it and have any tips to share? What other things have you used to stiffen the bottoms of bags?


lopi felted bag

I'm still working on the spider. I forgot to get a picture of the fuzzy body but I did manage to get a picture of the legs. They look a bit like match sticks don't they? They're actually over a foot long. Notice the blood red tipped claws. I think the soon to be six year old recipient will be pleased. I'm sort of just making this pattern up as I go so we'll see how it turns out.


spider legs

My local public library had lots of knitting book treasures on their shelves. I picked up Folk Socks: The History & Techniques of Handknitted Footwear by Nancy Bush, Folk Mittens: Techniques and Patterns for Handknitted Mittens by Marcia Lewandowski, Knit One, Felt Too : Discover the magic of knitted felt with 25 easy patterns by Kathleen Taylor, and Felted Knits by Beverly Galeskas.


Thanks Tami for suggesting the Folk Socks book. As well as sock patterns, there is lots of groovy information in this book about the history of socks. I'm still on the lookout for an interesting pattern to use for my Sock Pal's socks and I may have spied one in this book. Folk Mittens has many beautiful patterns that are awe inspiring but that I probably won't knit. Not much call for mittens here in the deep south. I guess you all can figure out how I feel about the two felting books I picked up. I want to felt everything that I can get my hands on! The Felted Knits book seems to be full of useful basic information about the felting process whereas the Knit One, Felt Too books has really jazzy patterns. I can't wait to put some of these to the test.

4 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

Your Lopi bag turned out great! The Lopi does felt extremely well, doesn't it? I've never put reinforcements in any of my bags, but I know some people do. I've seen the suggestion of using the heavy-duty plastic needlepoint canvas, so that might be a possibility to try. Good luck!

8:58 PM  
Blogger General Ginger said...

Thanks Leslie. I may try that plastic canvas idea sometime. I want to test drive this green bag for a while to see how it wears. These little bags are addictive I tell ya!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Tami said...

I LOVE your Felted LOPI bag. It turned out awsome. One of my first knitted objects was a felted bag and yours puts mine to shame. Great Job.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there " General Ginger " --- I was in the search engines researching SEO Software when I came upon your blog..... I don't know if you are out of place in the engines, or I am out of place and just don't realize it :-)

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home