General Ginger Knits

random thoughts on knitting and the universe

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

advice for front loaders & bag bottoms

Thank you all for your lovely compliments about my felted bags. I highly recommend them to those of you who haven't created one yet. It is so much fun! Its also a fantastic beginner project.

Several of you asked me what the secret is to felting in a front loading washer. Having just completed another couple of bags last night (pictures forthcoming) I think I may have the answer. This time I did not put the tennis ball in with the bags. I did place several towels in with them and used the longest setting. This setting started on prewash with hot water and rinsed in cold. I still found that I had to put the bags in again for a second washing. I have heard that this is not uncommon for top loading washers as well, so expect that to happen. I wanted a really felted look for the bags. Next time around I will place them in a closable pillow case. I didn't really think that much fuzz was released but after a thorough inspection of my machine I spied some loose fuzz down in its innards.


foam core

I've found that the bottom of my bags need some sort of reinforcement. For the longest time I couldn't really figure out what to do about that without having to sew anything. Then I hit upon the idea of foam core board. You buy the stuff poster board size at the craft store for just a couple of dollars. It even comes in a variety of cheery colors. I simply plopped the bag down on the board, whipped out my handy dandy Xacto knife, and cut it to size. I also cut off a bit of the corners so a sharp edge won't poke out. Then I slipped it into the bottom of the bag and presto! A stiff board to keep the bottom of the bag from sagging with a bright color to lift your spirits while you're rifling around for your keys. What do you folks who felt use in the bottom of your bags to dispel the sag?

5 Comments:

Blogger Miriam said...

I haven't had a problem with my Oregon Tote bag bottom sagging. It's Lamb's Pride Bulky, knitting in garter stitch and it's completely felted, so it's stuuuuuurdy! But I have heard of using the plastic canvas stuff like Amanda suggested. The fabric is a good idea too. If you line the bags, you could sew the plastic canvas or glue the foam board to the lining. :)
M

10:04 AM  
Blogger ifthisistuesday.wordpress.com said...

Wonderful bags! They ARE fun to make, aren't they (well, maybe not the knitting-with-huge-needles part, but the felting part). I don't reinforce the bottoms on mine; I felt them really stiffly instead. I also only use them for knitting bags so they don't carry much weight anyway; though I did give one to my sister, which she uses as a purse. I should ask whether the bottom needs to be stiffer & give her your idea of a bottom thing. Also: my very old, decrepit washer has very strong agitation, but I still have to agitate for 45 mins to an hour to get a good, solid felt--and that's with easily felting Lopi.

Lisa
http://blackwaterpark.typepad.com

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the felting advice! I'm so excited -- I think I'll give it a try this weekend. Great idea to use foamcore.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

I read somewhere to use quilting template plastic. Instead I used a plastic placemat I had a home. I was thinking that those flexible cutting mats would be good too. None of these would give as much support as foam board though.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

I've used the cover of a notebook (cardboard in plastic), and the the plastic mesh, but with a doubled bulky weight garter stitch on the botton of the last piece I made there was no need.

(I just got more Cascade 220 in the mail from the sale at WEBS today, and I'll be felting soon myself.)

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home