General Ginger Knits

random thoughts on knitting and the universe

Sunday, April 24, 2005

a felting adventure (or multiple FOs)



Finally, I finished the felted bags! I bet ya’ll were starting to wonder if anything at all was getting done over here at the general’s place. It’s going on a couple of weeks (or is it months) that I’ve finished up these bags and had them lying around in the yarn storage unit. I’d tried felting one of them in my front loading washing machine and it just wouldn’t felt. So I’d made up my mind to haul them down to the laundomat to use a regular washer. My heart was aching to get out to the laundromat last weekend and get the things felted. But the fates were against me so that I ran out of time…



This weekend I was bound and determined to get them finished up. On my drive to work last week I scoped out a fairly new, roughly two years, laundry facility that looked fairly reputable. I planned out my Saturday morning chores to include a stop by the bank to pick up a roll of quarters. Boy do I not miss the days of living in apartments and having to scrounge enough quarters to have clean clothes for the week. I also don’t miss lugging all those heavy, awkward plastic bins up and down the apartment stairs! This alone is enough to convince anyone to become a home owner. But I digress…



I gathered all necessary supplies including towels for thrashing around with the bags, laundry soap, latest VK to reread while awaiting the magic, my latest knitting project and of course the unfelted bags themselves and headed out the door. There was a spring in my step as I bounded from the car towards the laundromat’s front door. I wanted to scope the place out first incase all the washers were taken so I didn’t waist time dragging all my accoutrements inside. I was through the door while pushing my sunglasses on top of my head with a smile on my face that slid suddenly off as I stood stock still when I realized that every single washer in the place was a front loader. I went down every aisle just to be sure…



I was so shocked and disgusted that I turned around and headed straight for home. Now there has got to be a laundromat on nearly every other street corner in my town and I had to go and pick the one that only had front loading washing machines. Can you believe that? When I got home I threw the lot of unfelted bags, their accompanying handles, the towels I’d dutifully drug around on this adventure and a tennis ball just of good measure into my machine. I poured in a wee tad of soap, slammed the door and put it on the longest, hottest cycle it provided. I had to run the green one through twice but all in all I’d say they turned out pretty well, don’t you think?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so going to have to jump on the felted bag bandwagon. Those are just TOO cute. Thanks for sharing.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous! Those little flower pins really do the trick!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

They're adorable! I have felted things (very well, I might add) that I didn't mean to (or think would) in my front-loader, but things that I really DO want to felt are full of resistance! Yay for you, the conquering general!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are so cute! I love the different looks and colors. Adorable. :)

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! You've given me new hope that I might be able to felt in my front-loading washer. What do you think was the trick? The long, hot bath? The multiple bags? The tennis ball?

12:09 PM  
Blogger The Stitchin' Sheep said...

At first glance (I'll have to come back later to read all about the bags), I like the blue one the best. I love that fun Spring color.

P.S. I'm tagging you for a meme on my site. Hope you don't mind.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home