General Ginger Knits

random thoughts on knitting and the universe

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

the fair

Thank you all for your comments yesterday about my cotton bag. I've accepted the fact that it should indeed be lined I just need to settle myself to it. Thanks Amanda for the awesome sewing link. I think its going to be very helpful.

I’m picking up the gauntlet and running with it. This year I’m entering my knitting in the state fair. I couldn’t stop thinking about the idea every since I read Ann’s post.

Being the little researcher that I am I reviewed the winners list from last year. Weeding through the hieroglyphics I believe that no one won in any knitting category in any class last year. Does that mean that no one entered? Not necessarily. According to the rules, which I also looked up and reviewed in detail J, “any article not up to standard in the class in which it is exhibited can be ruled out by the judge.” However, I would guess since this is such a hot state that not many people are into knitting and of those people an even fewer number go to the state fair. This means I could probably get away with entering an intermediate level object and still be in a good place to get my hands on that ribbon. For that’s what I really want folks: the Blue Ribbon.



There are exciting cash prizes, or premiums as the fair lingo states, in each category. Ten dollars for first place, $8 for second place, and a whopping $6 for third. Oh, and honorable mention gets a ribbon. It also states that all those place holders receive ribbons. However, it doesn’t state whether or not the ribbon is blue. I want the Blue Ribbon. I don’t care about a lousy ten bucks as a prize that costs the ten with another zero added to the end. I want the Blue Ribbon. There is even a shot at an ‘Award of Excellence’ rosette. Wow.

Here is the scariest part of the ‘rules’: “All articles that require hanging for display should be brought with wire, etc., attached and ready to hang.” I have a horrid little feeling that the judges may think that a knitted sweater would be something they consider in need of a wire hanger. My insides are churning at the thought of it. Must check into this in more detail. Probably requires speaking to a live human being to allay my fears otherwise I’ll only be submitting baby blankets.

Entries must be received by September 17th. Can I make it? Who’s with me?

4 Comments:

Blogger Miriam said...

I've been thinking about my state fair. Or my county fair, which means I wouldn't have to travel. Perhaps I should enter my shawl, since I designed and knit it. I think it would be considered advanced level. I'm gonna go look into it!
Thanks!

10:32 AM  
Blogger sturdygirl said...

Wow, I never even thought of doing something like that! I can't imagine what I'd make...but I can't wait to see your creation!

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, good luck with the fair entry...I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

10:06 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

Great Idea! You can do it. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home