General Ginger Knits

random thoughts on knitting and the universe

Monday, February 07, 2005

attack of the killer spiders

What happens when you take this:


pile of useless acylic yarn

and turn it into this:


spider from above

It turns into Attack of the Killer Spiders! Yes folks, my first and only true novelty knitting project is complete. But wait, was there any actual knitting to make up the components of this spider? Ah yes, the legs are nothing more than i-cord. Oh, and so are the fangs. The rest is crochet. Thankfully I was able to follow the extremely helpful instructions sent to me to create a less shower cap looking head.

I'm delighted to report that the birthday recipient was thrilled with his killer spider. The spider was actually played with for over an hour. He was tossed about, twisted his head, and tied up all for my pleasure. It certainly was wonderful to see my hours of labor enjoyed so thoroughly. His playmate was so taken with him that he made a request for one of his own. Yeah right kid, it took me three weeks and a crocheting meltdown to make the thing so I'm not sure I'm up to another one. I think I'll make him a snake scarf instead.

I think one of my favorite parts of creating this spider was the tons of fun we had posing the him out in the backyard in scary attaking spider positions!

5 Comments:

Blogger Toni said...

Very creepy cool. How big is it?

5:16 PM  
Blogger General Ginger said...

Now there is a good question StitchinGirl. Why didn't I think to measure it? Hum, well, if I had to guess I would say that the body is about 12 inches in diameter and its probably about 4 feet from leg end to leg end. But he sure looks much more huge up in that tree, wouldn't you say? ;)

4:08 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

How cool is that spider!!! I love it! And it sounds like the recipient is very happy with your handy work!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

I Love It! That is the coolest creepy knitted object I have seen. Great Job.

11:59 AM  
Blogger alison said...

How funny! Love it!

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home